Week 13 story: Alice's Letter Home

My dearest Margaret,

I am not quite sure how the postal system works down here in the rabbit hole, but I wanted to try and write you to let you know that I am doing well. I mean, if you consider being extremely confused, curious, and unsure of where I am at all times doing 'well', then yes, I am doing well. Honestly, if I told you everything I have seen in this place they call "Wonderland", I fear that you would not believe me. I guess I am going to try anyway.

This whole crazy adventure started when I walked away from your homework lesson after I saw a curious white rabbit with a pocket watch. It was so peculiar. One moment, I was daydreaming with Dinah and singing "In a World of My Own" and the next, I heard a foreign creature exclaim  "I'm late! I'm late! For a very important date!" and scurry off. I am sorry I wandered away from your lesson, but I just HAD to. What happened next was crazy.  

I followed the rabbit throughout the twists and turns of the forest until he approached what appeared to be a tree with a large hole in it. He waved goodbye to be and hurried off into his rabbit hole.
After the rabbit disappeared, Dinah and I peaked in and decided to crawl in after him. After crawling around for what seemed like forever in the pitch black darkness, I turned to Dinah and said that we shouldn't go any further, as curiosity often leads to trouble. As soon as I uttered this last word, I began falling down, down, down. 

Luckily, as I fell, my dress ballooned up like a parachute and allowed me to slowly float as I observed the environment around me as it slowly began to change. The darkness turned into flashes of different colored lights revealing different trinkets that lined the walls of the hole. Lamps, tables, chairs, mirrors, and ringing clocks lined the walls. At one moment, I was sat in a rocking chair, only to be dumped out a second later. For the duration of my fall, I was upside down and feared I might all right through the centre of the Earth. Before I could think too much about that, though, I came to a jarring halt. 

Still upside down, I saw the rabbit scurrying away once more! I called after him to wait, but he was gone as soon as I got to the door that he went through. When I tried to open the door, I was met with a series of doors that got smaller and smaller the more doors I opened. Things were getting curiouser and curiouser! Once I crawled through the smallest door, I found a tiny curtain with another tiny door behind it! Upon turning the knob, the door came to life and yelped in pain! I apologized for the turn and he allowed me to look through his keyhole. Once again, I saw the white rabbit!! I begged the tiny door-man to let me through, but he said I was too big and that the feat would be 'impassable'. 

All of a sudden, a table appeared with a bottle on it that said 'drink me'. The door told me to drink it to make myself smaller, which I did! I became the perfect size to fit right through the door! Come to find out, the door was locked! I was then told to take a bite of a cookie that would make me grow tall enough to reach the key. I was hesitant, but I listened to the door and took a bite. Before I knew it, I grew to be the size of a giant! It was so scary, Margaret! I feared I was too big to get out and this caused me to cry so much that I made an ocean of tears. Shortly after, I found the bottle that made me small and took a big sip. After that, I was small enough to float through the keyhole of the door on my ocean of tears and now that I'm on dry land, I wanted to write to you to tell you about my crazy experience.

Like I said, I am not quite sure if you will receive this letter, but I wanted to try so that I could tell you every thing that has happened to me in this crazy place so far! I am hoping to find a way to escape soon, but I fear that there is much more to come. Who knows where I will be or what things I will have experienced when you get this! Hopefully, I will be home soon to tell you all about it!

With love always,

Alice (in Wonderland)
Image result for alice down the rabbit hole images"
Alice looking into the rabbit hole, UxDesign
Bibliography: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (1865). Down the Rabbit-Hole

Author's Note: For this story, I decided to retell and re-frame the incident of Alice falling down the rabbit hole using her perspective. I chose to have Alice retelling the story and detailing exactly what had happened in the rabbit hole while writing a letter to her sister, Margaret. I used details from Lewis Carroll's story, as well as from Disney's Alice in Wonderland to recreate this classic story, and I hope you enjoy reading!

Comments

  1. Very fun story! I like that you added elements of Disney's version to make it more fun. The format you chose of a "letter home" was a cute and works well with Alice's voice. Great use of "curiouser and curiouser"! Because really, when don't you want to fit that phrase into a college assignment. Really fun story. I enjoyed it. I don't have a great deal of suggestions other than it may have been fun to stick closer to the original Lewis Carroll story. He was just just as trippy without Disney's G rated help!
    Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Boyd!

    I really loved reading this story. I am a big fan of all things Disney, and I love that you included those elements to make the story much more exciting. I also loved how creative your storytelling was. Instead of simply writing a story, you made it into a letter, which totally fits with the original characterization of Alice. I hope you had fun writing it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment