Reading notes: Week 2 Anthology

After reading through this week's anthology, I found that my absolute favorite was "The Hare that Was not Afraid to die" from the Origins tab. As this was one of the first stories I encountered, as I read through the rest, I realized this was the one that interested me most, as my notes over this story were by far the most extensive and interesting for me to write. Below are the notes I took on this story as I focused on "reading like a writer."

Initially, I am drawn to the style of this writing. The author uses elevated language/sentence structure, as well as thematic strategy within the first couple of paragraphs of the story through a chronological and traceable timeline. As the author introduces the main characters, it is clear that the story will focus on the common human problem of greed and selfishness, while illustrating the main conflict through animals. This gives a fun, child-like energy to this story and made it very fun to read, as it is quite silly to imagine a monkey experiencing this type of moral dilemma. As I read, I wondered whether or not the choice of animal for Buddha and the others was strategic/purposeful or not. I wondered if there was something, a specific quality, that the author sees in the Hare that makes it fit to represent Buddha. I enjoyed the fact that this piece uses the character development and plot to really make you think about both purposeful and accidental artistic choices made by authors. 
The content of this song teaches a lesson on morality through the interactions of these animals and the individual choices they make. 

When I started thinking about the structure of the story, as well as the moral lessons it teaches, it reminded me of a parable of sorts. This thought was also prompted by the fact that this story focuses on the actions of a religious leader, and religious leaders sometimes use parables to teach lessons, morally focused or not, to the masses. This story of origin specifically reminds me of a parable in the Bible where a master puts his servants in charge of his goods while he is away on a trip. Upon his return, the master assesses the stewardship of his servants. Similarly, when the Hare is tested by his superior, he demonstrates selflessness and wisdom without concern of his reward. The coolest thing about this story, though, is that its main purpose is to give background information to support a common idea about the shape of the moon, but it makes you think about much more.


Pixbay; Rabbit in the Moon

Eastern Stories and Legends by Marie L. Shedlock (1920).
The Hare that Was not Afraid to Die

Comments