Feedback Thoughts

Over the years, I have found that, although sometimes difficult, receiving feedback is something that is essential to self-realization and personal growth. Since I have been somewhat of a perfectionist since I was a child, feedback-especially negative feedback-has always been something I have struggled with. Despite this, it was something that I had to learn how to use to my benefit very quickly when I began doing sports in elementary/middle school. Now, feedback is something that I try and celebrate, as it means that you are closer to being/doing the best you can. I found these articles both relatable and helpful, and plan on utilizing them as resources throughout the year.

Downsides to Perfectionism

I found this article to be particularly helpful, as I related to a lot of what was said in the article. A lot of the time we consider perfectionism to be a good thing and a lot of the time, it is. But, there are most certainly times in which it is a very negative thing to need everything to be perfect at all times. One of the best examples of this, at least in my life, is procrastination. I have never really been able to make sense of how I am both a perfectionist and a procrastinator, but this article puts it into words SO WELL. So well, in fact that I wanted to grab a quote that I feel best describes how I view procrastination and perfectionism: "Firstly, a perfectionist tends to conjure up an immaculate vision of how things should be. So when it’s time to get to work, they become extremely detail oriented, start to obsess about every single thing, get weighed down by every problem, and get caught up by the need to create everything perfectly. Over time, the “pain” of such intricate attention becomes too painful, and this subsequently leads to procrastination — putting off a task to get some relief, but is in actual fact pushing away the pain that they create with each task." I have found that I do this in most areas of my life,especially the important ones. Because I have a vision of what it should look like, if I begin and it does not resemble this, I have the desire to want to stop trying all-together. When doing some self-reflection, this seems ridiculous, but it is totally a negative side-effect of being a perfectionist. The article also mentions waiting for the perfect moment, and procrastinating until you reach it, and this is something I do way more than I would like to admit.

Talking About Failure

I also really enjoyed this article. As the article mentions, we often prefer to process failure internally, making sure to speak about it as little as possible so to not bring attention to our own imperfections. Although it isn't a fun thing to do, it is often necessary to discuss your short comings so that you can be sure to not repeat them in the future. Growing is more possible when you acknowledge where you could have done better and when you have people holding you accountable. I found it interesting that the article suggested initiating a conversation about your own failure in person because it is more effective than hiding behind an email. This is definitely something I have done before and will most likely continue to struggle with, especially when it comes to projects and assignments.
Image result for perfectionism images
Perfectionism image Pixabay

Comments