Project Topic Brainstorm

While searching for potential project topics, I found a lot of interesting potential subjects for my semester Storybook. I am not sure if I will 100% choose one of these to do my project on, but I think it's a good place to start! Below are the four projects ideas I came up with while completing this project:

#1. Tulsa Ghost Stories Haunted places in Tulsa
In my Favorite Place post, I talked a lot about my hometown: Tulsa, Oklahoma. I talked a lot about how its been home to me all my life and has brought me so many friendships and great memories. I also talked a little bit about the culture, including some fun places to go/fun things to see. What I did not mention, however, are the many many ghost/haunting stories that originate in Tulsa. This idea was given to me by our professor, Laura Gibbs, in the comment section of my Favorite Places post! I began researching it and found that there are a lot of haunted places and ghost stories all over Tulsa & I think it would be so fun to dive into this research and find out more about this haunted place that I grew up in for 18 years! Surprisingly, I have very little knowledge on this topic, but would love to find out more. I would probably retell this story like a classic ghost story is told; with a detailed history and suspenseful details.

#2. Notable Greek Women List of Greek Women
A lot of the great storybook ideas I have seen over the past few weeks involved the retelling of events from women's point of view. A lot of well-known stories in Greek Mythology focus on the men and their role in these stories, leaving the women and their points of view to fall to the background. When browsing through potential stories, however, I found this list of influential Greek women and it is pretty extensive! I think it would be fun to focus on one or several of these women and tell famous stories from their point of view or focus on an aspect or two of their stories and expand on them. I'm not exactly sure how I will go about this, but I plan on doing more research on the women that stick out to me to discover exactly how I will bring their stories to life.

#3. Perseus' Adventures Perseus
This topic really stuck out to me as I was reading through potential stories because I love the Percy Jackson series. I have read the books I don't know how many times and have seen the movies a lot as well. This is one of the series that got me so interested in Greek mythology in middle school, so I would love to retell his adventures in my storybook. This story is action-filled and would be so fun to rediscover and provide a unique perspective on. I know the books/movies added details that would bode better on the big-screen, so I am sure that I do not know the full story according to Greek Mythology. Once I do more research, I think I would like to tell the stories either from Perseus' perspective or from a God's perspective.

#4. Mermaids Mermaids
This was another topic that really interested me. I have always been interested in mythological creatures (specifically mermaids and fairies) since I was a little girl. Obviously there has been/still is a lot of mermaid/fairy content in popular culture today (e.g. The Little Mermaid, Tinkerbell stories etc), but I have found that a lot of those contain different information than what is typically found on these creatures in Greek mythology. I would like to learn more about the history/details of these creatures according to mythology of varying cultures and provide an interesting story about the origin/history of these creatures. Some of the stories I have seen gave detailed accounts of how mermaids got their tails, or how they interacted with human men. Either of these would be an interesting direction for me to take, so I will be doing more research to further consider the direction I would like to take this project!

Image result for perseus journey
Perseus with the head of Medusa, Wikipedia

These are the topics I have been brainstorming for this project! I am excited to get your feedback!

Comments