Reading Notes: Bible Women, part B

In part B, the story that stuck out to me was the story of Mary and Martha. This is a story that I am very familiar with, both of these are common stories told to illustrate what it should look like to be a Christian. In the story where Jesus is in their home, Martha often represents a Christian who focuses on doing good deeds and doing the tasks that need to be checked off of a list, while Mary represents the Christian who wants to hear God’s word and sit at Jesus’ feet above all else. At different times in my life, I have identified with both women in terms of my relation to the Word. The reason I would love to retell this story is because I think it would be interesting to either write from both of the women’s perspective in a diary-type setting, OR reverse the roles and make Mary be the one who does all of the cooking and cleaning and have Martha sit at Jesus’ feet. The other part of the story (presuming it is the same set of siblings) where their brother is risen from the dead is also a story that I have heard many times. I thought it was interesting that although there are remnants of the character development that occurs in the first part of the story, Mary and Martha don’t react to this situation exactly how you think they would, with Mary being doubtful and assigning blame to Jesus, and Martha being level-headed. This is another thing that prompted me to think about reversing the roles in these stories, as a form of re-telling them. Regardless of which method I use, this story will be fun/interesting to re-write, because of both the opportunity for strong character development and the inherent drama that both of the stories hold. 

King James Bible (1611): Luke 10 Mary and Martha
The Raising of Lazarus, by Giotto, blogspot

Comments