Week 4 Lab: Crash Course Mythology

Even though I was super excited about my potential storybook ideas for this week, the option to do a Story Lab really intrigued me! I have always loved Crash Course and have used it so many times while learning a multitude of subjects, both in college and in high school, so when I saw that this was a lab option, I jumped at the chance! This sequence of videos begins with the clarification of the word "myth"and how it is applied in this context. I really enjoyed this, as it has always been something that I wondered about. Basically, the intro states that the word 'myth', which typically means fake or untrue, does not have the same meaning when it pertains to these stories. This was a great introduction to the 'mythology for dummies' that soon followed!

Before watching this video, I anticipated that it would talk about famous stories in Greek Mythology and break down their meaning. However, these videos were more about the common terms and structures of common myths! The second video talked briefly about binaries, or opposition of the elements, and the significant role that they have played and continue to play in mythology, which I found to be very interesting! The third and final video in the series was about the typical Hero story. The video began with a quote that I really enjoyed that said "We are all heroes struggling to accomplish our adventure." This really highlights the relatability of these stories and allows us as students to further connect to them in our every day lives. These videos all made great points and taught me a lot about mythology in general, but I really enjoyed the breakdown of the tell-tale parts of a hero story. According to Crash Course, every hero story has the separation phase where the hero separates himself from the world. This is typically when the hero takes his 'journey' which is almost always accompanied by guidance from a supernatural being. Within the hero's journey, he/she almost always has to bypass one or many obstacles, until there is a point in which the hero is almost defeated. Next, there are the trials and victories of initiation. After responding to the call, the hero faces many challenges (many of which represent some sort of psychological danger), that test their ability to remain a hero. Some of these trials include meeting with a heroine or goddess to prove their worth, or being confronted by a father figure. Both of these help the hero to establish their maturity/god-like status. Part three is their return to society which marks their re-acceptance into their own realm after their noble journey.

Overall, I really enjoyed this Story Lab assignment and feel as though I learned a lot about Greek Mythology and its varying elements!
Image result for crash course mythology
Overview of Mythology thumbnail, YouTube

Comments

  1. Hi there!
    I was intrigued by the lab options this week! I noticed the crash course videos, and I hope to watch some next time. I loved the quote that you included. It truly connects with the readers. Despite the circumstances, everyone struggles to reach their goals in some manner. The stories showcase how they can apply to any situation and any one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment