Week 10: Reading Notes part A extra reading

Reading Notes- Part A

Jicarilla Apache Texts edited by Pliny Earle Goddard (1911). Origin of Corn and Deer

I chose to read this collection of stories about the Apache people because I wanted to read about a tribe that is present and active in Oklahoma. After reading through part A of this collection, I feel like I know more about the culture and people of the Apache Tribe. I found all of the stories within the collection to be very interesting and informative, but my favorite story was the one entitled "The Origin of Corn and Deer". This story gives origin to corn and deer and the role that they play in the Apache Tribe. I love reading the origin stories of different cultures because I feel like it gives a lot of insight into the thinking processes and inherent values of the people.

I found that this reading uses a different style of writing than the other stories that I have read for this course. The stories are long and rambling and utilize specific details of the setting and actions done by the characters in order to set the scene for the reader. This story also uses the personification of animals to do a lot of the storytelling. This both adds depth to the story and emphasizes the importance of the role that animals play within the community. On top of illustrating the connection between the animals and the people, this story also illustrates how close the family ties are in this tribe. The story is all about family members asking other family members (sometimes animals) to do things for them. As far as what I might do to re-tell this story goes, I think it would be fun to utilize the animals even more by having them narrate it. This would give another point of view and might add a fun twist that readers would enjoy!

Apache Woman, Blogspot

Comments