Week 10 Story Laboratory

Writers Write Story Lab

For this week's story laboratory, I chose to look do some research on the Writers Write page. After doing some browsing in the most popular section, I found a couple articles that really stood out to me. I felt that the articles that I found were great resources for accomplished writers and newbies alike. They provide concrete ideas that are designed to drastically improve your writing by aiding in word-choice, plot writing, beginning a story, character development, and so much more! Although I found almost all of the articles posted in the popular section to be super interesting, the ones I chose to write about are "155 Words to Describe an Author's Tone" and "350 Character Traits- A Fabulous Resource for Writers".

I was drawn to both of these articles because of the sheer quantity of information that they provide. I was very impressed by the amount of information that these two articles alone provide to authors in order to help them write their best. It's just crazy to me that free resources like this exist! These articles are also very specific. In the article about describing an author's tone, there truly are 155 words listed, each of them with their own specific definition. With the use of these specific descriptions, this article allows authors to be purposeful with their writing, which I thought was pretty cool! The article about character traits really went above and beyond, as it provided 2 full charts of both negative and positive traits, sorting them accordingly. These charts are a way to instruct authors how to use specific traits in their plotting. When you know exactly who your character is and what traits make them who they are, you are then able to better mold your stories around them. After reading these articles, I am  hopeful for upcoming writers, as they have been and will continue to be provided with helpful resources that will promote success in their stories and future careers.
Image result for writers write image
Writers Write logo, Pinterest

Comments

  1. Hi Emily!
    I love Writers Write. It is my favorite thing for extra credit. The amount of information and the quality of information is phenomenal. I could spend hours digging through that website. I find the word choice articles really helpful too. They are great for when you get stuck when writing a story or need to improve a story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,

    I haven't done a Writer's Write yet and based on your feedback I'll definitely look into doing one soon! It's interesting you chose the author's tone and character traits. I also like that the articles talked about being purposeful about your writing because I sometimes have trouble with that. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily! I also enjoy the Writers Write site due to the multitude of articles and good advice it provides! I think that the two articles you chose to provide feedback on are very interesting, especially the one about character traits. I often get stuck and use similar traits for all of my characters, so this article would be something great to reference in the future. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily! I have done a Writer's Write blog post before, and I agree that it gives some pretty great advice. I liked your choice in articles, especially the one about characters and how to further develop them. Storytelling has never been an incredibly strong suit of mine, but I am glad that I have been able to develop those skills through this class. I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment