Week 13 Reading Notes: Alice in Wonderland, Part B

I think of all of the stories that I have read for this class, this one has been my favorite. It was really fun reading something I had never read before, yet am so familiar with. The nostalgia that reading through all of the stories gave me made this such a good read and made me want to re-watch the movie as soon as possible.

Although I enjoyed reading the whole collection, I really enjoyed the three stories about the Mad Tea Party. The story includes a lot of sassy and nonsensical banter between Alice, the Mad Hatter, the March Hare and the sleepy Dormouse, which I really enjoyed. This banter really allows the reader to feel as though they are right there experiencing all of the craziness that is the Mad Tea Party. It also allows the reader to really get a feel for each of the characters and their individual quirks that make them who they are. Additionally, the language used in this banter further demonstrates the author's prose style, all while developing interpersonal character dynamics.

In this reading, you can also find a lot of the iconic lines from the Alice in Wonderland movie, such as when the Hatter asks Alice a puzzling riddle: "Why is a raven like a writing-desk?"or when they begin to sing a semi-familiar nursery rhyme:"Twinkle, twinkle, little bat! How I wonder what you're at! Up above the world you fly, Like a tea-tray in the sky. Twinkle, twinkle —". This combination of familiar elements from the movies and original details gave me a new understanding of the original story and a greater appreciation of the characters that brought this classic to life.

One of my favorite ways to retell or re-frame a story is by choosing to tell the story from the perspective of a character that you wouldn't normally be hearing the story from. I think a good example of that kind of character in this story is the Queen of Hearts, so I might choose to tell the story of Alice stumbling into her garden and interfering with her procession from her point of view. I think it might make for an interesting and unique retelling that would give readers a new perspective on the Queen and her motivations.

Bibliography: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (1865). The Mad Tea Party

Image result for alice in wonderland pictures cartoon"
Alice in Wonderland characters, Artfire

Comments