Week 14 Reading Notes: Brother's Grimm: Aschenputtel, Part A

Aschenputtel Reading Notes

When I looked at my part 2 reading overview to remember which story I chose to read for this week (as I have to do most weeks), I was a little bit confused as to why I chose to do Brothers Grimm. When I went to start reading, though, I saw that the story I chose to read, Crane, included tales of Princesses I'm familiar with, and I was reminded once again why I picked that one. Among a lot of other things, this class has really shown me that I will always be a sucker for a Disney story. Anyways, after I read this, I was super excited to jump in and start reading.

When I looked at the table of contents for Part A, I was kind of confused because I didn't see Cinderella. I read the first story expecting it to mention something about the maiden-turned princess, but no luck. It wasn't until I read the second story that I found what I was looking for. The name change definitely threw me off, but after reading, I found that Aschenputtel had the same characters and storyline that I fell in love with all those years ago.

From the beginning, Aschenputtel (who we know as Cinderella) is painted as a kind, humble, and grateful little girl who has been dealt a terrible fate. When her mother dies, she is left to deal with her new evil step-mother and her two hateful daughters. Almost right away, this story shows you exactly who these mean people are and how they intend to treat Aschenputtel. I found that this quote accurately depicts their role in the story as the main antagonists:

""Is the stupid creature to sit in the same room with us?" said they; "those who eat food must earn it. Out upon her for a kitchen-maid!"

They took away her pretty dresses, and put on her an old gray kirtle, and gave her wooden shoes to wear."

In terms of character development, the narrative continues to provide details that are essential to understanding Aschenputtel and her relationship with both her father and her step-sisters when the father goes to the fair and asks what each of the daughters want him to bring home for them. The step-daughters ask for fine clothes and jewelry while Aschenputtel asks for something thoughtful that will remind her of him. This alone shows the reader exactly how the dynamic between the sisters will unfold, as it portrays the selfishness of the sisters that is juxtaposed with Aschenputtel's selflessness. It is this dynamic that allows them to walk all over her until the moment that she becomes a beautiful princess.

These are just a couple of the details that I felt really helped to develop the characters and the relationships between them. This was one of my favorite reads so far and I would love to start brainstorming some ideas for how I would retell it. Maybe I will get some inspiration from watching the OG Cinderella on Disney+!!!

Image result for cinderella"
Cinderella transforming into her dress, Duluth News

Bibliography: Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm, translated by Lucy Crane and illustrated by Walter Crane (1886). Aschenputtel

Comments