Week 14 Reading Notes: Brother's Grimm: Part B

Snow White Reading Notes

As I said in my Part A reading notes, I am a sucker for anything Disney. So of course, I chose to read the Snow White story from the Brothers Grimm collection for Part B. I mainly just wanted to see what the similarities and differences would be between the original story and the Disney movie. 

Honestly, this is almost always my goal when I go to read a story that has been turned into a Disney movie, mainly because I love seeing how they differ from one another. That being said, I loved reading this story and found that reading the original gave me a lot of insight into aspects of the story that I had never before considered.

I found that the original story was almost exactly the same as the story that was portrayed in the movie. This was both surprising and exciting, as I loved the Disney movie, but figured it had been greatly altered before being put on the big screen. I think that reading these stories has really shown me a lot about classic authors and their dedication to writing whimsical yet detailed stories that don't need much added to them to make it a magical story. 

Something that really caught my eye while reading this were the overall themes of the story of Snow White. Like I said before, reading the whole story from beginning to end really allowed me to see details and aspects of the story that I hadn't before. This being said, after finishing the story, I felt that the overall theme of Snow White is about finding peace and happiness in environments where you might not normally find them. Even though she finds herself living among 7 miners, Snow White still chooses to embrace her circumstances and find happiness. 

Image result for snow white"
Snow White, Disney Fandom
Bibliography: Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm, translated by Lucy Crane and illustrated by Walter Crane (1886). Snow White


Comments