Week 15 Reading Notes: Italian Popular Tales Part A

How the Devil Married Three Sisters

I chose to read the Italian popular tales because I thought it would be a great opportunity to learn about another culture's mythology! The story that caught my eye was "How the Devil Married Three Sisters." The title is one that really grabs your attention and makes you wonder how the story will unfold.

This surely was an interesting read. I really enjoyed the themes within the story and how the devil's third wife used his own trick against him in the end. 

The first theme I noticed within this story was the theme of the number three. I have always heard it said that three is considered to be a bad or unlucky number. I think this comes from the idea that bad things, like deaths or other tragedies, come in threes. I thought this was ironic, as the devil is often thought to be the cause of unlucky/bad things in some cultures. The use of the number three in this story is also ironic because in the end, the devil turned out to be the unlucky one. Another theme I noticed was the theme of curiosity. Curiosity is what caused all three sisters to end up married to the devil or in hell at the beginning of this story, and curiosity is what caused the devil to end up wife-less at the end of the story. Speaking of, I quite enjoyed how the story came full circle with all three wives returning to their home after each of their short marriages to the devil. The comedy of the third wife continuously 'having eyes' on the devil while ordering him to carry the chest made this story super enjoyable and satisfying to read! I guess the third time really is the charm-ha!

Bibliography: Italian Popular Tales by Thomas Frederick Crane (1885). How the Devil Married Three Sisters

Image result for how the devil married three sisters"
Devil and a sister,  Paula Reed Nancarrow

Comments