Week 15 Reading Notes: Italian Popular Tales, Part B

Italian: The Language of the Animals

As I do most of the time when reading new stories, this week I tried to find stories within the collection that stuck out to me. Most of the time, I decide which story to focus on by looking at the titles of the stories and picking the one that grabs my attention. This week the title that stood out the most was "The Language of the Animals."

Usually, when I see an unusual or attention-grabbing title, I try to guess what the story will be about/what moral or lesson it will teach. This time, I was surprised to find that I was able to accurately guess the general direction of this story before I read it. I assumed that the story would be about a person who had learned the language of animals and was ridiculed because of how ridiculous and useless having that skill seemed to be. The actual story takes that story line a little farther by allowing the main character, who acquired the skill through ten years of school, to use the skill to get him out of/protect him from various situations.

I really liked how even though he was initially ostracized and even ordered to be put to death because of this skill that he acquired, the son was able to have the upper hand or an unseen advantage because of his gift. I also enjoyed the irony/full circle moment of the son coming back to the father and choosing to use his gifts to help him and show him mercy even when the son was not shown any mercy in the first place. I really enjoyed this story and its use of themes of irony and using what you have to the best of your ability to get this story across in an effective and fun-to-read way!

Bibliography: Italian Popular Tales by Thomas Frederick Crane (1885). The Language of Animals

No photo description available.
Italian Animal Names, Facebook- DrawItalian

Comments